[c-nsp] Prove it's not the network!

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri May 16 14:45:04 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:41:40AM -0500, Justin Shore wrote:
> As a network engineer I've found that the vast majority of my job is
> helping other people find their problems.  The network seldom breaks and
> when it does it's not subtle; it's catastrophic.  Even highly skilled
> technical people still blame the network when their stuff doesn't work
> right (after all my network is just a bunch of tubes, right?).
> Networking is like mysterious dark magic that no one seems to
> understand.

*applause* :-)

While this getting very much off-topic on *cisco*-nsp, I can't help but
notice certain similarities in my day-to-day job...  "things are not
working, it must be your stupid firewall filters" (client and server are
in the same L2 network, and no, there are no L2 ACLs anywhere...).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de