[c-nsp] 10GE sanity check

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat May 17 21:47:43 EDT 2008

I'm just looking for a quick sanity check here on 10GE optics.

A 10GBASE-LX4 xenpak or X2 module will not talk to a 10GBASE-LR module,
correct?  I'd test this assertion in my lab, but I don't have a spare LR
module at the moment.  From what I've read of the coding and transmission
specs for both types of optics, they wouldn't seem to be compatible, but I
could be wrong :)  CCO doesn't seem to have much info on module-to-module
compatibility, probably because they assume the optics will be the same at
both ends, but vendor differences in this case make that impossible.

Thanks in advance
jms