[c-nsp] Strange message on the console

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Sun May 18 01:56:56 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I was messing around with rate-limiting ARP resolution on a 6500
SUP720-3bxl.  After entering "mls rate-limit unicast cef glean 250
50", IOS printed this message on the console:

%Packets requiring ARP resolution will be subject to the output ACLs of the input VLAN

Uhhhh, duh?  I would hope that traffic would always be subject to the
input VLAN's output ACL, since that would be how one would expect
ACLs to work - ie, that they actually do something....  I can't
imagine that this means to imply that output ACLs only work when glean
rate-limiting is enabled.

Google finds nothing on this message - anyone have any info on this
curious bit?

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us