[c-nsp] 10GE sanity check

Tomas Daniska tomas at soitron.com
Mon May 19 03:59:10 EDT 2008

ZX
> at
> > only one end, as 1550nm light only has half the attenuation of
1310nm
> > light, which means more of the light get to the receiver for it to
be
> > enough with the ~ -18dB sensitivty of LX, you don't really need the
> ~24dB
> > of ZX. The -24dB receiver on the ZX can be sensitive enough to
receive
> the
> > LX on the other end correctly.
> >

> are you operating any links like this in production today with real
> traffic?

A year ago we had to do similar setup on a 60km dark fibre span for a
7600 to a 12k. The 7600 was ok as ZX xenpak (it was a 67xx card) was
available but the 12k did not have ZR XFP yet so we went with something
like ZX xenpak <-> ER XFP, worked like a charm.

> i'd love to see what (if any) CRC/Framing errors you may be recording,
> some people think that running equipment in this manner significantly
> compromizes the bit-error-rate of the link.
> i don't have evidence either way, but "show int x/y" counters would be
> great proof point of it not being an issue.

It's history for now so I don't have anything handy. No increased BER
though

--

deejay