[c-nsp] Catalyst 2960G & Tacacs

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Mon May 19 23:20:45 EDT 2008

Why are you using a timeout of 1 second for your TACACS+ server?  That's
awfully short, especially if you use two-factor authentication or a punt
from ACS to an external database.  If anything I've had to increase the
timeout from the default.  Your authorization command doesn't look right
either.  You would obviously also need to define some local username(s) with
appropriate privilege levels and (hopefully) a secret in order for "local"
fallback to work.  You can't fallback to local if you have no local
usernames...  If authentication to the ACS isn't working, check the ACS
failure logs, and also do some debugs on the router/switch.  You can setup
buffered logging, unplug your connection to your ACS, do your test, then
plug back in to get the detailed messages in the log on why AAA is failing.

HTH,

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697