[c-nsp] Usage Billing w/ Netflow / Implementation Pitfalls

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Wed May 21 10:12:07 EDT 2008

Just some local implementation statistics:

Number of exporters: 23
Gigabytes netflow/day: 6Gbytes
Busy router: 1 Gbyte/day
Avg router: 300 Mbytes/day
Total netflow bandwidth to collector: 2Mbps peak; <1Mbps average

Collector hardware:
   PowerEdge SC1430 Dual Core Intel. Xeon. 5120; 1066MHZ
   4GB 667MHz (2X2GB)
   SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
   3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
   (total about $1500)

Typical 'crank' times (web response times) depends on specified filter:

    FlowViewer top-talkers, 1 hour, avg router: 2 seconds
    FlowGrapher typical, 1 hour, avg router: 1 second
    FlowViewer top-talkers, 1 hour, busy router: 6 seconds
    FlowGrapher typical, 1 hour, busy router: 8 seconds
    FlowViewer top-talkers, 24 hours, avg router: ~15 seconds
    FlowGrapher typical, 24 hours, avg router: ~15 seconds

I would put your routers in the average category (above) for comparison.
So two months of average router would be about 20-30 Gbytes. If you have a
6500 and you collect intra-VLAN it could be more.

Joe