[c-nsp] EoMPLS, 2800s & 7600 w/ 6700 linecards

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu May 22 14:47:28 EDT 2008

I have a customer wanting a new PtP circuit and I'm trying to figure out
how to get it to them.  We don't have the ability to build out a L2 path
all the way to them without burning more fiber and that's just not
scalable.  I'm looking at other options, namely MPLS.

Here's what I'm basically trying to figure out in case people don't want
to read all the stuff below.  1) can I pick up a VLAN off of a 1Q trunk
on a 6700 series linecard in a 7600 and use it for EoMPLS?  I'd prefer
to pick it up with a SVI but I could do the sub-int-based VLAN if
needed.  2) can a 2800 terminate the xconnect in a VLAN that can be
assigned to a NM-16ESW or HWIC?  I'm planning on replacing the 2821 with
a 7201 and a switch down the road so in the future I can also do the
sub-int-based xconnect termination on the 7201's ints facing the switch.
  For EoMPLS is using sub-interfaces the most common implementation
method with the hardware I have to work with?

Here's the long version:

I touch the customer with fiber using media converters attached to a
NM-16ESW on a 2821.  The 2821 is dual-homed to the 7600s in the CO off
of the 2800's built-in GigE ports.  The IGP is IS-IS but I'm working on
putting customer prefixes into iBGP.  I have not extended MPLS to the
edge devices that can support it, yet.  I figured though that this
circuit would prompt me to do that.  The circuit would be dropped a
dozen miles away at another CO and handed to us on Ethernet.  I'm
working on another project to place a 15454 at each of the 2 COs and
using Xponder cards to transport numerous GigE PtP links between the
sites over a pair of 10G rings.  I'm considering placing a single (or
pair) 4948 at each site to combine lower bandwidth PtPs together before
feeding a single GigE into an Xponder, ie not wasting expensive ports on
the the expensive Xponders.

What I'm thinking about here is taking the PtP at the remote CO via
Ethernet into a 4948 or Xponder on a specific VLAN.  Then carrying that
down to one of the 7600s (no DWDM filters at this time).  Picking up
that VLAN and sticking it in a L2VPN.  Adding MPLS to the links between
the 2821 and the 7600s.  And finally dropping off that L2VPN on a VLAN
on the 2821 assigned to a 1Q trunk on the NM-16ESW.  Also, I'll add an 8
port 2960 or 3560 at the customer's site to break out the VLANs off the
1Q trunk and offer up individual links to the customer.  I've learned
through past dealings with the 6700 linecards in my 7600s that I have
very limited MPLS capabilities to work with.  How do I do stuff a VLAN
into a L2VPN from a 1Q trunk coming into a 6724-SFP or 6748-GE?  Second,
on the 2800, how do I terminate the L2VPN in a VLAN that I can use on
the NM-16ESW?  What's in the middle should be relatively easy.  It's the
edges that I'm struggling with.

I see that 12.4(11)T added AToM support to the ISRs and it specifically
mentioned "Ethernet to VLAN Mode" as an option.  I'm running a more
recent 12.4T release anyway so this should work fine.  Unfortunately I
haven't been able to find any implementation docs.  All I can find are
general docs or sales docs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/prod_bulletin09186a00804a8728.html#wp1083948

I may have the ability to place a ME3750 at the remote CO.  If that
happens then I should be able to do EoMPLS from that edge back to the
2800.  I do not know if I'll be able to free up that ME3750 though.  So
I need to know if I can set up EoMPLS with VLANs on the 7600 and 2800
specifically.  What's in the middle I'm less concerned about.

Thanks
  Justin