[c-nsp] 6509 power supply question

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri May 23 10:35:43 EDT 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Jarrod Friedland wrote:

> Can I run a 6509 with 1 x 1300W and 1 x 1800W (redundant)? Are the issues
> with doing this we should be aware of? I have asked this question of cisco
> integrators however all we get is "The engineers have put their heads
> together and say NO"

I don't think having power supplies with two different wattage ratings
would hurt any of the guts, but I've never had to do this, so I can't say
with any certainty how the switch will behave.

It might:
1. function normally
2. function, but the redundancy won't work
3. function, but the switch will complain
4. shut down
5. do something unpredictable like shut down all of the linecards...

jms