[c-nsp] BGP Route selection

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Fri May 23 12:35:06 EDT 2008

I use two different tweaks here to make sure stuff like this works as you
desire.   One I use 'bgp bestpath compare-routerid' so I can pretty much tell
which way things are going, as if not it will stay as you say in the oldest
pathway even when things come back.  By also adding this comparison in, when
announcements come and go it looks at it all again.

You can also use route-map's to decide your favorite paths by default, if you
normally want to go path A for your traffic flow, set something like 'set
local-preference 125' in a route-map for it.  That will make you prefer that
route, and I also always set path B to a value less than that.

Not sure if the above is the Cisco recommended way, but it's sure worked OK
for me..

---
Howard