[c-nsp] BootVars Keep Erasing Themselves

Ronen Isaac Ronen at conticomp.com
Fri May 23 19:28:51 EDT 2008

Hello All,

I have run into a baffling wall and after 4 days or tinkering and
reading online I am turning to you hoping that you might be of
assistance.  I have a Cat6509 w/ SUP2/MSFC2 that I converted from Hybrid
mode to Native mode following these instructions to the letter:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note
09186a008015bfa6.shtml

I reloaded the switch a couple of times and even turned off/on the power
briefly to make sure all settings took.  Everything seemed to work
great.

I then turned it off for a day and when I turned it back on it booted
through the SP OK but when starting to boot the RP I get this, "Warning:
Rommon NVRAM area is corrupted" and it goes to ROMMON mode.

I then added the bootvars again and made sure the register was at 0x2102
and reset the switch.  It loaded through...

While in IOS I went ahead and did and "erase nvram" to format and start
over.  I then redid the bootvars, did a "remote command switch show
boot" to ensure the SP bootvars were OK and reloaded the switch.  It
loaded all the way through and the bootvars were intact.

So I turn it off and let it sit for 10 min, fire it up and again I get
the same error, "Warning: Rommon NVRAM area is corrupted" and it goes to
ROMMON mode.  I do this for about 2 days.

I then proceeded to upgrade the image and the ROMMON, redid the config,
turned off the switch, waited 10 min and it still didn't take.

If you have any thoughts I would greatly appreciate hearing them.
Thanks so much for your time and have a great weekend!

Image: 12.2(18)SXF14

ROMMON: 12.2(17r)S5

P.S. There is only one SUP in the chassis and this happens on 2 separate
sup engines.

Kind Regards,
Ronen Isaac
Continental Computers
920 N. Nash St. Bldg B
El Segundo, CA 90245
310/416-1200:voice
310/350-8456:cell
310/416-1443:fax
ronen at conticomp.com
www.conticomp.com

www.wlanmall.com <http://www.wlanmall.com/>
www.webuycisco.com
AOL IM: ccro02

**Your trusted partner for DEC, CISCO, COMPAQ, JUNIPER, MOTOROLA CANOPY,
AIRAYA, PROXIM, AXIS IP Cameras, MILESTONE Surveillance Software and
more for over 20 years!