[c-nsp] Both my borders crashed?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed May 28 09:34:31 EDT 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Shaun R. wrote:

> Both my border routers look to have crashed at the same time.  Anybody know
> why from this error?  If not how can i find out what happened?  Both routers
> are 7206VXR-NPE-G2's
>

> border2 uptime is 2 days, 19 hours, 20 minutes
> System returned to ROM by error - a SegV exception, PC 0x13EF030 at 05:05:00
> UTC Sun May 25 2008
> System image file is "bootflash:c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin"
>
> border1 uptime is 2 days, 19 hours, 19 minutes
> System returned to ROM by error - a SegV exception, PC 0x13EF030 at 07:51:26
> UTC Fri Mar 30 2001
> System image file is "bootflash:c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin"

Could be a memory corruption (software) issue, access violation (some
process trying to scribble into a register that it's not allowed to
touch), scribbling into the wrong memory region, etc...

If you want to find out what caused this, yor best bet is to go to the
TAC.  Considering both routers crashed with the same message, I'll bet
it's a bug in that particular version of IOS.  "T" train releases are
where new features are intriduced and allowed to bake for awhile before
being rolled into a mainline release.  As such, they can be more bug-prone
and my advice has always been not to use T train releases on production
routers unless there is absolutely no other choice.

It also looks like the clock on border1 is in need of an adjustment :)

jms