[c-nsp] 7200 VXR TDM Bus Crossconnects?

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Wed May 28 11:30:57 EDT 2008

At 11:15 AM 5/28/2008, you wrote:
>On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 01:44:36PM +0200, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> > VXR indeed added the TDM bus into the 7200 capabilities, which
> > essentially means you can use 'connect' or 'cross-connect' commands in
> > config mode to cross-connect DS0 between various PA/controllers and
> > use DSP farming.
>
>So what cards can make use of it?  And *how* to do it?

Not much and it's pretty useless. Nobody has been able to tell me how
to do it. We use the cross-connect command all day long to connect
ATM PVCs from one router to another router and another ATM circuit
via IP. (simplified ATM-ATM MPLS sort of) For packet based traffic,
it's easy. For ISDN PRI (clock dependent data) from one interface T3
to another T1, it doesn't work according to Cisco. If the MIX bus
doesn't actually use the TDM backplane in the VXR is that just a
vaporware "feature"? Is anyone using it to do anything? I'm just curious.

Here's more info from Cisco about the MIX bus. It seems like a pretty
useless feature. Why bother? Just use a crossover T1 cable between
the two ports without using the router. If you are switching DS0s,
why? That's only one voice channel and not enough data for anything
other than maybe an ATM machine or credit card processor or a legacy
text terminal app? If it can only switch within a single card, it
isn't using the bus on the VXR. I don't get it. Does anyone else
understand this more than I do or than the cisco tech below did?

-Robert