[c-nsp] Big L3VPN on 6500

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Wed May 28 21:00:44 EDT 2008

Hi All,

We provide L3 and L2 vpns services for our customers. Usually they
have only a few routes (up to 1k), but this time it looks like we'll
be providing transmission for a customer with almost 40k routes. They
want to connect in 4 of our locations (using BGP). So far we ran the
6500s on standard cef settings:

FIB TCAM maximum routes :
=======================
Current :-
-------
 IPv4 + MPLS         - 512k (default)
 IPv6 + IP Multicast - 256k (default)

We have about 200k routes already (both ipv4 and vpnv4) and I started
to wonder how the new customer will affect that. Are only routes
(vpnv4 prefixes) that are in the fib counted (that's what I think) or
will I see an increase of 4 * 40k entries (3 * vpnv4 + native
peering)? What's the easiest way to calculate the memory consumption
that will be caused by the new customer?

kind regards
Pshem