[c-nsp] Single strand SMF 10GbE

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu May 29 14:40:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 03:15:17PM +0000, MKS wrote:
> Hello List
>
> Is some vendor out there that offers single strand SMF 10GbE
> (X2/xenpak/whatever).
> Does someone know if this is on cisco's roadmap?

All those "single strand optics" do is integrate a small mux into a
generic optic. I'm not aware of anybody making that kind of product for
10GE today (though it could certainly be done, look at LX4 those optics
have an integrated 4ch mux :P), but you can easily accomplish the same
goal with an external mux. Just send one color one direction, and another
color the other direction, and you can mux whatever you'd like onto a
single strand. This could be done with anything from DWDM optics to any
generic $200 1310/1550 mux and an LR+ER (and maybe some attenuation)
optic.