[c-nsp] OID to pick up Device Type of Cisco devices

Lakshminarayanan P lnarayanan.p at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 07:56:14 EDT 2008

Hi All,

There is a requirement for me to pick up "device types" of Cisco devices
using SNMP. Could somebody share a OID or direct me to the MIB file that can
help me get this information?

For example, a 2811 polled with this OID should return a value which says
that the device is a "Router".

While I understand that a lot of Cisco modular devices can act as a Switch /
Router / Firewall / Load Balancer based on the modules installed and/or the
IOS running, I just need to get the basic device type. As an example, a
Catalyst 6500 chassis polled with this OID should return something like
"Switch" regardless of the presence of a Firewall Services Module on it.

Is there such an Object?

Thanks in anticipation.....

Lakshminarayanan