[c-nsp] OID to pick up Device Type of Cisco devices

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Sat Nov 1 18:46:35 EDT 2008

Karl Gaissmaier wrote:
>> Maybe RFC1213 ipForwarding would work
>>
>>           ipForwarding OBJECT-TYPE
>>               SYNTAX  INTEGER {
>>                           forwarding(1),    -- acting as a gateway
>>                           not-forwarding(2) -- NOT acting as a gateway
>>                       }
>>
>> but I kind of doubt it.  We just got some SUP32s in to replace CatOS
>> SUP2s
>> (pure L2 switches) & I haven't been able to figure out yet how to
>> tell them
ipForwarding should work fine.  it _should_ change behavior based on
whether there are any L3 interfaces configured or not.

the challenge is how to use this moving forward on Cisco platforms that
have dedicated out-of-band management interfaces (e.g. Nexus platforms),
because technically speaking, they ALWAYS have at L3 interface
configured (mgmt0 out-of-band) which is L3 by definition because it
exists in its own 'management' VRF).

its one case where the MIB falls down & is showing its age.
in the case of Nexus, we're thinking about 'lying' in the ipForwarding
answer to exclude 'management VRF' but even so . . .

cheers,

lincoln.