[c-nsp] SXF15/SXF15a experiences?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 05:15:22 EST 2008

Janet Sullivan wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with SXF15/15a,
> especially in an internet edge/full BGP route table type environment. So
> far I've run into one oddity with SXF15 (BGP wasn't updating the local
> routing table until a clear ip route *), and I'm debating whether to
> downgrade.

That bug was discussed on the list recently. Search for the thread "SXH3
ghost bugs".

It's present in SXH15 & SXH3, but fixed in SXH3a (however SXH3a still
has all the *other* bugs that SXH3 has, including the SCP-crasher)

SXF15a wasn't out last time I looked, so I don't know, but I assume
SXF15a cures the BGP bug.

> Of course, opinions on SXH3a are also welcome, but I'm a bit untrusting
> of the SXH beast still. <grin>

Consensus seems to be that unless you specifically need some of the
12.2(33) features, you're best on SXF

We've just recently *down*graded from SXH2a on one box; the progress of
that train has been inadequate for our stability needs.

We've actually been very stable on SXF10 for a while now (over 1 year on
our busiest box).