[c-nsp] HWIC-3G-* experience?

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Tue Nov 4 01:19:46 EST 2008

> Does anyone have any experience with the HWIC-3G-* cards in real life?
> I'm considering emergency access plans using these as opposed to
> traditional methods, and I'd be interested in any success or horror
> stories before jumping in.

We've had good experiences with them here in Oz. Had a few that were DOA or
failed during firmware upgrade but have been replaced under maintenance. But
99% have been rock solid. In fact, had a customer primary land-line link
fail the other day, router automagically failed across to the 3G and with
WAAS in place no-one even noticed.

Not suitable for running VoIP across today but that may come (for us here
down-under, anyway) mid 2009.

B.