[c-nsp] HWIC-3G-* experience?

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Tue Nov 4 06:39:24 EST 2008

(1) We've had good experience with this.  Decent throughput, but high
amount of jitter/latency.  Its just another internet access method at
this point... it works fine.

Really its about the carrier...

(2) Cables and antennas as needed for getting the signal required can be
expensive if you go through the wrong channels (like Cisco... don't do it!)

(3) Sprint has a flat-rate plan thats 100 bucks or so for unlimited
usage.  They offer great deals on cables and antennas.  They also do
free site-surveys, noone else does that we talked to.

(4) AT&T.  Variable bill rates.  AT&T can work something out through
their account reps where you will never be charged more than a certain
amount every month, but its supposed to be for "backup only" so if you
use it frequenty... you can go through your sales rep to make sure you
don't get locked out or whatever.  Right now, they offer a service to
back-up MPLS circuits, but they manage the endpoint at your site... this
is their ANIRA product.  You configure VRRP on your router and they
configure it on theirs.  You configure whatever tracking you want so
that when a failure occurs, AT&T's ANIRA router takes over and gets you
back to the cloud (through the internet though)...

(5) Verizon. No variable billing.  The best throughput with
dual-antennas.  They also offer internet-to-MPLS backup like AT&T and
Sprint, but you get to manage the endpoint.

(6) There is no direct-to-VRF type MPLS backup at this time, but all
three carriers are rolling it out from what I understand.  When this
occurs, the card will come up direct to the MPLS cloud.  Until then, its
VPN tunnel to somewhere over the internet.  Permanent IP is available.
Some of them can create "private" subnets on the internet for you... you
get a public IP in a /27 or something and it can only talk to other IPs
in that /27.

hmmm...