[c-nsp] Frame error

charly coueffe ccoueffe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:57:39 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a problem between two 10 Gig interfaces. I have many errors between
two routers 7606.

I have two types of error : giants and frame and i search the problem.

R2#sh int te5/2 | inc Desc|MTU|error|frame|gian
  MTU 9216 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     0 runts, 2864673045 giants, 0 throttles

R1#sh int te5/3 | inc error|giant|Desc|MTU
  MTU 9216 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     0 runts, 10853142 giants, 0 throttles

In the ONT book the frame error, runt and giant are explain in the QoS part.
I think that the frame error are related about the size of the buffer and
not a physical problem with the connector or optical fiber.

I have seen in the configuration that the hold queue is configure with 4096
packets.

interface TenGigabitEthernet5/3
 description R1 - R2
 mtu 9216
 ip address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 no ip mroute-cache
 load-interval 30
 mls qos trust cos
 mpls label protocol ldp
 mpls ip
 no cdp enable
 no mop enabled
 no clns route-cache
 hold-queue 4096 in
 hold-queue 4096 out
end

Do you think that the problem come of the configuration ? Because I have
change the Xen-Pack and card 10 gig, and i have the same problem.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Charly