[c-nsp] ip cef optimize neighbor resolution

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Wed Nov 5 11:51:46 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

Has anyone running SXH on a SUP720-3B(-XL) series 6500 tried "ip cef
optimize neighbor resolution"?

Cisco's docs seem to offer the usual tautologous explanation, and as a
bonus, include a circular reference:

"The ip cef optimize neighbor resolution command is very similar to the
ipv6 cef optimize neighbor resolution command, except that it is
IPv4-specific."
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipswitch/command/reference/isw_i1.html#wp1036767

"The ipv6 cef optimize neighbor resolution command is very similar to
the ip cef optimize neighbor resolution command, except that it is
IPv6-specific."
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipswitch/command/reference/isw_i1.html#wp1037762

Both indicate that it triggers "Layer 2 address resolution of neighbors
directly from Cisco Express Forwarding for IPv[46]".

Has anyone tried this?  It sounds like this could be a win for a pair
of 6500s I have with unexplainable high RP utilization problems - the
boxes terminate a lot of VLANs and have a lot of ARP responsibilities.
But I can't really find much discussion of it.

Thanks!

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie