[c-nsp] IP Cef load sharing, quick question

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Nov 7 08:28:35 EST 2008

Hi there.

We have a Simple L3 switch (I think it's a 2960G) that we need to do some even simpler fault tolerance and load sharing on.

We were going to connect this switch to 3x switches upstream and then do something like this:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 g0/32 gwip
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 g0/33 gwip
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 g0/34 gwip

When we were testing we noticed some (well, quite a bit) of strangeness with traceroutes and the like (many multiple hops for the same, hop.. etc)

is there a better way to do what we're trying to achieve?

We were thinking about maybe doing VRRP on the 3 switches upstream but then we would only be using 1Gbps and the goal is to be able to use "a little more than" 1Gbps.

Normally we'd just let routing protocols handle all of this fun, but this isn't our 'regular' slice of equipment.

Any advice is swell,
-Drew