[c-nsp] OIR in 6500/7600

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Mon Nov 10 11:50:34 EST 2008

The 6500/7600 chassis has three pins in each slot that during insertion get connected one by one (larger to smaller) to
the module. The first one starts the bus stall and the last one stops the bus stall.

I had problems when inserting too slowly the modules (the bus stall was lasting for more time). You just need to find
the right speed.

Keep in mimd that DFC equipped modules do not have this problem. According to Cisco:

"The addition of a DFC module effectively disconnects a module from the Data Bus. As such, a DFC-enabled module is not
subject to the bus stall mechanism that occurs when a module is inserted or removed from the chassis. Throughout these
Online Insertion and Removal (OIR) events, the Data Bus is temporarily paused for just enough time to ensure that the
insertion/removal process does not cause any data corruption on the backplane. This protection mechanism causes a very
brief amount of packet loss (sub-second, but dependent on the time it takes to fully insert a module). A module with a
DFC onboard is not directly affected by this stall mechanism and does not have any packet loss on OIR."

--
Tassos