[c-nsp] SXI out

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 12:05:37 EST 2008

Jared Mauch wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 01:44:43PM -0200, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
>> Making the same file for release notes of SXH and SXI makes /me think
>> that SXH4 won't see the light... what do people have heard about it ?
>>
>> About SXI, does it look deployable or SXI3 or SXI4 is the version to look for ?
>> (may be too soon to tell, I know)
>
> 	I suspect SXI is highly deployable. :)

Did you mean "deployable" or "deplorable" ;o)

Rubens,

A briefing we had 18 months or so ago basically said:

  * SXH - initial release, to be released shortly (hahaha) some 12.2(33)
features, each "version" will have 12 months support

  * SXI - major release, to be released later (hohoho) most features,
will have the "extended" 24 months support that some SXF releases had

Information is scanty (non-existent?) but I suspect something like the
following happened:

  * Work starts on SXH *and* SXI more or less simultaneously

  * Problems start in SXH train e.g. they start to slip, finding VSS,
sup720-10g and 6708/6716 linecard hardware support are harder

  * SXH train gets even later - cisco add more manpower making it later
still - eventually gets released in a pretty shabby state

  * Meanwhile all this time SXI has been working on the "other" features
and ironically since it's had a later deadline, has been going slower
and is more on-track

I personally doubt we will see much more of SXH. We'll probably see an
SXH4, since there are known crash bugs in SXH3a, but I'd be surprised to
see anything beyond that.

> 	It also appears that they now have ssh+ipv6 back in regular ipservices
> and you can get the lan only image too for those, meaning lots of flash
> savings.
>
> 	I've done some basic testing in the past ~12 hours of the
> image and it seems to perform on par with our SXF counterparts.

I wonder if people are interested in coordinating their testing and
pooling results?