[c-nsp] Cisco 3560 to Dell 6248 Trunking?

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Thu Nov 13 20:50:04 EST 2008

> Has anyone ever gotten trunking working between a
> 3560 and Dell 6248 or similar?  The Dell seems only
> to support GVRP in comparison to Cisco's VTP.
> Since the 3560 doesn't support GVRP I think I'm out
> of luck, but I'm hoping someone here has figured out
> a kludge to get this working.

I've had trunking working between Cisco and Dell switches before. You can configure trunking manually on either end - you don't need VTP/GVRP to build a trunk. For example:

	interface GigabitEthernet 1/0/1
	 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
	 switchport mode trunk
	 switchport trunk vlan allowed 1-50

Obviously you'd need to define the VLANs manually on each end for this to work.

Or am I missing something in your question?

B.