[c-nsp] ASR 9000

Julio Arruda jarruda-cnsp at jarruda.com
Fri Nov 14 11:41:18 EST 2008

Julio Arruda wrote:
> Kevin Graham wrote:
>>
>>> Runs IOS XR, while the recent ASR 1000 series runs IOS XE?
>>> Consistency
>>

>>> would be nice.
>>>

>> ...or atleast call this a CRS-2 or something. I'm still crossing my
>> fingers
>> that there's a master plan for consistency (or alternatively, clear
>> differentiation) between XR/XE/12.2SX/12.2SR/NX-OS.
>>

>>> Re-uses the RSP nomenclature, just recently put to bed in the 7500
>>> series.
>>>

>> Nope, 7600 already revived it (RSP720). I don't see reference to line
>> cards,
>> but the photos look like ES40's, which finally gives some credibility
>> to the
>> 6500/7600 split (where new linecards are shared between ASR9000 and
>> 7600).
>>
> I somewhat doubt this is the case..at least from what I can imagine...
> This would imply in the ASR9k cards being able to talk with the 7600
> backplane, that I understand, is quite distinct from the CRS-1 ? Isn't
> the ASR9000 based of the CRS-1 hardware ?
> Isn't the ASR 9000 based of the CRS-1 Metro packet processors also,
> while the packet crunching on the 7600 is based of the EARL, and on the
> ASR 1000 is based on the QFP ?
> I can't seem to find details on the cards on the ASR 9000, but, just
> making some wild guess here..
> (of course, Cisco has been quite effective in getting a clear separation
> from control plane to forwarding plane, and IOS-XR sure already runs on
> another completely distinct box, the 12K-XR, so, maybe the 7600 will
> gain from the ASR 9000 'revamp').

So, eating my own words, seems like the ASR9000 would use the same kind
of fwd muscles as the ES (ezchip based) cards in the 7600, not the EARL.

Would seems they have the ASR14000 using the SPP, still making the 9k
and the 14k 'close', both would  run IOS-XR.
And I assume this would mean Cisco has now a box that could replace the
7600, running IOS-XR.

Not sure about edge features, but I understand the 9k flavor of XR has
this covered...
Stil can't find details on the 9k on the website, but...