[c-nsp] Catalyst 3750 stacks with many members

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Nov 14 16:19:57 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 10:19 -0800, Dale Shaw wrote:
> We have a few large (>6 member) cat3750 stacks in our environment,
> most in L2 edge/access roles, and most providing PoE to cisco IP
> phones.
>
> Does anyone have any tips as to how to make large stacks more
> reliable?

The largest we've used was a 6 member stack. No CPU wise. No large
number of CDP neighbors though.

Probably no help, but we've started moving away from stacking. Having to
manage X or 2*X switches isn't that different for a non small X -- you
need some tools to manage several switches concurrently anyway. The
failure scenarios are more clean using stand alone units and regular
RSTP for us.

It would be very sweet if one could use the stack ports as regular
interfaces between switches. That would be a cheap high bandwidth
connection in a U topology.

Regards,
Peter