[c-nsp] Recommended Cisco boxes for a smallmultihoming solution?

Marcus Marinelli marcus at gangusinternet.com
Sat Nov 15 14:23:25 EST 2008

Łukasz,

I'm not trying to argue that the ASR is not the "better" box in the "Edge
Router" category, but I just want to remind everyone that Magnus originally
was looking for:

"smallest recommeded[sic] Cisco boxes to use for a small multihoming
solution"

With the requirements of:

- 2 full BGP views (approx 260k routes each)
- 100 Mbps bandwidth requirement. (do you have any idea of PPS?)

I think we would all agree that for the most part, an ASR 1002 is very
likely be overkill in this situation. Sure, the VXR will slow down as you
add more features, but as you were alluding to at the end of your email, not
a whole lot of features are really likely to be necessary in this case.

The VXR route has something going for it in this case that the ASR doesn't -
it's been around for a while, and people know them [and 'classic' IOS] very
well. You can also pick up a used 7200VXR chassis and NPE-G1 or G2 for super
cheap (<$10k for a G1 + chassis + power), and have that as a spare.

Marcus