[c-nsp] Catalyst 3750 stacks with many members

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Mon Nov 17 15:53:46 EST 2008

> The one foot cables that come with the switches are great.  They are

> short and light enough that the crappy connectors don't cause a
> problem.

I have a suspicion that Cisco wanted to fix this. The 3750E's were
initially a "3780", and were renamed late enough that several product
photos had the original name.

Note that all of the CBS31xx's use a much different, and simpler
connector. This may have been a simple matter of form-factor (certainly
the BladeCenter version doesn't have the physical real estate).

The different name and different connector suggest that compatibility
with StackWise/"3750" was a late-stage change that also necessitated
reverting to the older cable.

...with regard to SP CPU, really crude test suggest that the PPC405 on
3750E's is about half of the speed of the MPC8245 common on 4500 sups,
so yes, if you're running very large stacks, presumably this will be
an issue. (Furthest I've taken them is 6 w/ no CDP/LLDP and simple
IGP).

Being able to redeploy these into so many different configurations makes
these far, far more useful than any of the modular chassis (where you
end up having to eat chassis+sup, or chassis+dual-sup to get equivalent
sparing). I still regret the places I put in 4506's instead of 3750's.

My biggest single gripe is Cisco's own internal games with them with
product handicapping such as the lack of a 3750E equivalent to the
3650E-12D and a higher-densitity or 'E' version of  the 3750G-12S).
(It would also be really nice to see an ISSU equivalent for these...)