[c-nsp] 7200 AC & DC

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Nov 18 00:25:13 EST 2008

cisco.com has this to say about mixing AC and DC power supplies in the
7206:

  Caution Do not mix power supplies in the Cisco 7206. In dual power supply
  router configurations, both power supplies must be of the same type (two
  AC-input power supplies or two DC-input power supplies).

I've seen posts from people saying that they have mixed AC & DC in 7206's
with both types powered up at the same time...and nothing bad happening.
Can anyone say why cisco cautions against doing this?  Is it just a
grounding issue (possibly very different grounds provided by the AC power
and rack's ground (used when using DC power)?

If it's just that, I would think that if the measured voltage between AC
ground and rack ground is close to 0v, then this might be safe to do,
especially as a short term situation while migrating from one type of
power to the other.