[c-nsp] downloads broken?

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Tue Nov 18 12:39:32 EST 2008

sethm at rollernet.us (Seth Mattinen) wrote:

> >>They've broken so many things with software downloads over the years,
> >>including coded image access via FTP, crypto access via FTP, website
> >>requires cookies now to fetch the images, etc..
> >
> >Does anyone know why Cisco started on this thing with the downloads? Did
> >they see too many inappropriate downloads or what? I'm not sure what was
> >wrong with the way it worked in the old days.
>
> It wasn't pretty. I seriously can't think of any other reason.

Crypto images are export-controlled. The legal guys probably told them
"make sure that the customer reads the stuff and clicks <accept>".

Non-crypto images have been accessible by plain FTP at least until
2006 (after which we started using only images with ssh capability).

I have been using wget for the "final URL" for a long time now. It
does also help if you replace the FTP server name ;)

Elmar.