[c-nsp] Basic Load/Stress Test Tool

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Nov 19 02:51:35 EST 2008

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 15:27:17 Nimal David Sirimanne
wrote:

> Am looking for a simple tool which i can use to load or
> stress test the network devices before we put them on a
> production network. For example, if my network device has
> a 100Mbps interface, i'd like to be able to load up to
> 100Mbps on to the interface and see what happens. Any
> suggestions?

Do you want to test how well the device withstands the
throughput, or do you want to test how well it fills up the
interface.

For the former, you're probably going to be worried about
CPU utilization (if forwarding is done in software) and
when the box starts dropping packets.

For the latter, suggest Iperf.

Cheers,

Mark.