[c-nsp] To VSS or not to VSS

Eric Cables ecables at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 15:01:01 EST 2008

I'm working on a design which includes 2 pairs of 6509s w/ VS-S720-10G
(one in each chassis).  The VSS capable supervisor engines were chosen
mainly for the 10G interfaces, but the more VSS documentation I read
the more it seems like a great solution for added
redundancy/bandwidth, while reducing complexity.  As far as modules,
all will be 6748s or 6724s, and the only service modules in the mix
will be a pair of FWSMs in one of the VSS pairs.

Can anyone provide any feedback on your VSS experiences?  How have the
FWSMs played with VSS?  Any design considerations I should be aware
of?

Thanks,

-- Eric Cables