[c-nsp] HSRP and routing asymmetry

Michael Jager mj at 204.net.nz
Mon Nov 24 00:48:18 EST 2008

Phil Mayers wrote:

> You can achieve this to a limited degree, but I'd think very carefully -
> is the minimal gain worth the hassle?
>
> We run a similar topology, and we just ignore it - let the traffic
> return via either path.

This pretty much sums up the majority of the replies that I received
both on and off-list.

> It's very common. Most people either ignore it, or statically set route
> costs (since the HSRP active will, normally, be in the same place)

Statically modifying route costs seems to be the best solution other
than ignoring the asymmetry.

> Seriously - HSRP can't really do this. You can force it to "sort of" do
> it, but there are non-obvious failure modes to most of the solutions.
>
> Cisco could solve the problem for us with just a little work by
> providing an option to remove the local connected route on HSRP slaves.

Indeed - I was hoping there would be an easy solution such as this, but
it appears that there is not.

Thanks to all who replied.

-Mike