[c-nsp] Resources for Migration to IP/MPLS in Carrier Environment

Felix Nkansah felixnkansah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 12:26:04 EST 2008

Hi All,
I am presently tasked with designing an IP/MPLS core solution, along with
migration strategy for some mobile carriers in my country.

The problem is that I am required to understand not just IP communications,
but also telecom protocols and their connections & operation in real life.

These include TDM, DWDM, SS7, SGSN, MSC, GPRS, etc so I can help with the
migration to the IP/NGN solution.

Unfortunately, I see myself as a pure IP guy without much understanding of
telecom protocols.

I was wondering if any of you involved with such projects could direct me to
some useful stuff on these topics.

I am not just looking for documents that explain these protocols with
lengthy signal and wavelength charts, etc. Those are readily available.

I want guides that explain the real application of these protocols and how
to migrate them onto an MPLS core.

I have already read most of the CCIE SP online guides at
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/sp/online_resources.html anyway.

Thanks,

Felix