[c-nsp] Service Policy per-class bandwidth graphing -- any tools available?

Dean Smith dean at eatworms.org.uk
Wed Nov 26 17:39:39 EST 2008

Eric

The cbQoS mib uses dynamic indexes which change if you amend the Service
Policy or class definition. It is possible though (if you can walk the
relevant MIB) to work out for yourself the indexes. You can then graph the
relevant oids directly.

You haven't mentioned which platform - the 10720 (12.0S IOS) actually has
the MIB indexes on the CLI - so it can be quite easy with no snmp browsing
required. I don't know if this applies to other 12.0S platforms.

So...If you're comfortable poking around SNMP and looking at MIB
walks....and your policy is static (you can amend ACLs etc - but change the
policy/classes and you have to start again)...shout and I'll write up some
pointers.

Its this sort of MIB - with 2 dynamic indexes where things like Cacti really
struggle. I did some scripts and templates for cacti a few years ago and you
end up having to walk quite large bits of the MIB every poll to accurately
tie the Interface + PolicyName + Class Name together if you want to keep do
it by names.

Cisco have introduced some index persistence to the cbQos mib but I haven't
personally tested whether this gives persistence between policy edits...or
simply between reboots.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t4/ht_cbqos.html

Regards
Dean