[c-nsp] Stack port flaps on Cisco 3750G series (was: Re: Catalyst 3750 stacks with many members)

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Wed Nov 26 21:34:45 EST 2008

Hi,

We've had no real trouble with large stacks of 3750G switches vs. smaller
ones - I can see we have over 60 stacks of 7 and above (14 of these are 9
stack members).  We poll these switches every minute using SNMP (statseeker,
cacti) and have several scripts that perform configuration backups.  I can't
say I've seen high CPU at all.

Unfortunately one problem we've seen has been related to the stack ports -
without warning, we will see stack ports flap down/up between paticular
switches.  In one or two cases, the stack cable has been at fault but
usually an RMA fixes the problem.  We monitor syslog for this and we have
scripts that check every switch stack for stack interconnects which are down
(the danger here is that when a stack link fails, we aren't informed about
it).  If the stack ports flap up/down rapidly and for a long time in quick
succession, the stack will crash and reload.  Reproducing this issue in the
lab has been a challenge and it seems to be environmental - i.e. we notice
this more on warm, humid days.

Has anybody else encountered this issue?  It doesn't seem at all related to
the size of the stack, either.

thanks,
Tristan