[c-nsp] To OSR7609 or not to OSR7609?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Nov 30 17:53:24 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:31:28PM +0100, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> > Any big drawbacks or negatives to this chassis?
>
> It's dead. See http://tinyurl.com/5mv7fn
>
> > We'd like to run them with SUP720-3BXL processors and 6548
> > series Ethernet cards.
>
> 12.2 SR doesn't support the OSR 7609 chassis.
> 12.2 SXF does support it, but is no longer getting new features.
> 12.2 SXH and newer doesn't support that chassis either.

That isn't true. OSR is nothing more than an old product name for a 7609
chassis bundled with a SUP2/MSFC2. Cisco ditched this scheme when they
started pushing the SUP720, in favor of just describing the chassis and
sup with different part numbers. There is absolutely no such thing as an
"OSR" chassis, a 7609 is a 7609 is a 7609. What you're actually refering
to above is the SUP2/MSFC2 support, which has nothing to do with the
chassis. After you replace the sup with a SUP720 or RSP720 it will run
SR/SXH just fine.

> If you chose to buy it anyway and run SXF, keep in mind that you
> also need a WS-6509-NEB-UPGRD= (basically a new fan tray) to run
> it with a Sup720.

The two major caveats for putting SUP720 into an older chassis which
originally shipped with SUP2's (and this applies to 6500 just the same)
are:

a) In the 09 you need a 2500W power supply (old 1300W's which were
common with sup2's work work)

b) You need to upgrade to a high speed fan tray (which goes by many
different part numbers depending on the chassis, 6509-NEB-UPGRD is
indeed the correct fan for the old classic 7609).

After that, it will run whatever you'd like.