[c-nsp] Cisco 7600 vlan issue

Julio Arruda jarruda-cnsp at jarruda.com
Sun Nov 30 19:28:48 EST 2008

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 02:23:35PM +0000, Matthew Melbourne wrote:
>>> And yes, this is one of the most serious design limitations of the
>>> 6500/7600 - "global VLAN space" (with LAN interfaces).  But it's a
>>> well-known and well-documented limitation, so usually people know in
>>> advance and can decide for themselve whether the tremendous price
>>> advantage of LAN cards is worth the associated restrictions.
>
>> Can you point me in the direction of any "global VLAN space" documentation
>> for the Catalyst 6500?
>
> I can't point you to a given document on cisco.com.  It has been mentioned
> a number of times on this mailing list, though.
>
> It is easy to understand if you look at the way the "big catalyst boxes"
> are built (more prominent in the cat5000 series):
>
>   - there's a layer2 switching engine
>   - loosely coupled to that is a layer3 forwarding box
>   - ports are put into a L2 VLAN
>   - the L3 engine has a VLAN trunk into the L2 box of the switch, and
>     this is used for routing between VLANs

I was under impression the L3 forwarding and the L2 forwarding was done
by the same engine, in the PFC card(s) ? and behind it, the EARL for the
lookup and the rewriting of the header info (mac rewrite, dec ttl and
goes on) ?
That is how Nortel 8600 (and earlier gen, rapidcity-legacy) did the
work, the same lookup engine would do l2 and l3, so I may be messing up
things in my mind :-), in a little more distributed fashion (more like DFCs)