[c-nsp] Cat 3750 StackMaster Selection considerations

Michel Grossenbacher pashtuk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:44:01 EDT 2008

Hi all
We're going to use the cat3750 Stacks for the first time soon and I got a
question regarding the StackMaster selection. Its not about how the
StackMaster gets elected (thats clear enough from the guide) what I ask
myself is how much sense does it make to define a StackMaster manually? What
are the benefits for that beside knowing which Switch is the Master (nice to
have but..)?
All switches in a stack will run the same IOS Version and also the same
feature sets so there wont be any problems with not available EMI/SMI or
crypto/noncrypto features. Beside the core stacks (1x12 port SFP, 1x24 Gig
copper) all stacks consist of the same switch type.
At the moment I dont see much benefit in setting a Stack Master, only added
complexity.
Am I missing something?

Thank you

best regards