[c-nsp] Cisco BGP Running on VRF?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Oct 1 16:49:23 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 02:12:57PM -0500, Murphy, William  wrote:
> Thanks Gert.  I suspected that was the case.  I am probably displaying
> my VRF/MP-BGP ignorance here, but is there any technical reason Cisco
> could not allow you to run BGP in a VRF without doing VPNV4 similar to
> how you can run an IGP in a VRF?

Well - IGP "in a VRF" is a separate process (or at least "something with
its own tables etc"), with separate IGP neighbours for each VRF.

For BGP, you do not want to configure all your BGP neighbours for
each individual VRF - so you configure BGP once, and transmit VRF info
as VPNV4 address family infos.  Which is usually used together with MPLS,
so it's pretty closely tied together.

Of course it could have been implemented differently - but I'm not sure
how much sense it would make, except for the very special case "no
L3 VPN going on, except for one single VRF, called 'internet'".

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de