[c-nsp] BGP Scaling

Dean Smith dean at eatworms.org.uk
Wed Oct 1 16:52:48 EDT 2008

We're looking at ways of providing resilience to individual customer routers
with multiple connections. Currently we use RIP which has worked well in the
past but we're now concentrating more connections onto aggregator routers
and testing has shown that the RIP will limit that....so we're considering
other options.

Does anyone have experience of running large numbers of BGP peerings on 7200
? (7201 or NPE-G1) I'm guessing its a little soon for ASR figures. Out stats
show the average number of routes are small (default out, average 5 in) but
we'd like to do that over 1000-2000 peerings. I'm guessing this might be
typical in MPLS style environments etc.

Also does anyone know if the BGP Dynamic Neighbor "bgp listen" feature thats
n 12.2(33)SXH is coming to the 7200  ?

Thanks

Dean