[c-nsp] multicast monitoring in a small network?

Christian MacNevin christian.macnevin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:59:17 EDT 2008

Hi

Wondering if anybody's had much fun investigating mcast monitoring
solutions for a small network. It's a content network with
only a small number of devices, so I'm not sure if CMM is the way to
go for them. CMM always seemed a bit configuration-centric
and they're not really big enough to be bothered with the finer details.

What exactly I *am* looking for may be a bit harder to describe I'm
afraid :) They're taking feeds from a couple of providers which will
be a mixture of ASM and SSM in the near future. They're casting out to
the internet but I'm not sure of the mechanisms yet - RTSP so
I'm assuming it's unicast fallback. They might implement sexier new
stuff in the future however such as AMT when that gets done (if
I can sell them on the idea I guess).

Any advice?

Thanks!
Christian