[c-nsp] Maximum number of OSPF instances in a VRF-liteenvironment

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Oct 9 05:44:33 EDT 2008

Mark Tinka <mailto:mtinka at globaltransit.net> wrote on Thursday, October
09, 2008 9:19 AM:

> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 17:12:07 Oliver Boehmer
> (oboehmer) wrote:
>
>> right, this got changed in 12.3(4)T, 12.0(27)S,
>> 12.2(25)S, 12.2(18)SXE and others where IOS no longer
>> allocates a PDB per OSPF vrf instance, so you are not
>> limited by the 32 PDB instances any longer..
>
> Great news!
>
> We focus mostly on l2vpn's, but it's good to know this
> limitation no longer exists if we do get customers
> insistent on OSPF for a PE-CE routing protocol.

ack, this makes it very attractive.. and using per-process spf/lsa-gen
timers also adds some level of "protection" (i.e. not converge as
aggressively as in the core)

> We are on SRC1 (moving to SRC2).

SRC also has this enhancement..

> I recall IS-IS had the same issue in IOS. Do the new train
> revisions also include this fix?

Well, IIRC, IS-IS as PE-CE routing protocol isn't available, the "IS-IS
Support for an IS-IS Instance per VRF for IP" feature is only suitable
in a vrf-lite environment (i.e. the redistribution from and to MP-iBGP
is not implemented).. I think each ISIS vrf instances takes up a PDB (so
you'd be limited here).

	oli