[c-nsp] [j-nsp] BGP route flap damping

Thu Oct 9 08:38:35 EDT 2008

Hi all on list,

Thanks to all who have replied.
I have taken a look at the RIPE documents and some of the presentations from
the NANOG archive.

Admittedly, I'm not well acquainted with the discrete mathematics used in
some of the recommend reading materials.

However, considering the inputs from the replies on-list as well as the
materials I have looked through, I think the general discussion about route
flap damping can be summarized as the following:

- Vendor implementations tend to dampen entire prefixes instead of the
specific paths that are flapping
- Vendor default thresholds/penalties are far too strict
- Disabling RFD is probably better for routing stability and troubleshooting
than enabling the current vendor implementations of RFD.
- Disabling RFD should be highly considered if router CPUs can handle it

If there are any more points to add to this list, please feel free to do so.

Otherwise, thanks once more to all on list who have shared their views.

--
Ang Kah Yik (bangky) - http://blog.bangky.net