[c-nsp] Maximum number of OSPF instances in aVRF-liteenvironment

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Oct 9 10:40:08 EDT 2008

Timothy Arnold <mailto:timothy.arnold at uksolutions.co.uk> wrote on
Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:54 PM:

> Slightly off the topic.
>
> Is there any advantages for using OSPF for PE-CE routing? Or is it
> down to what the customer wants? I assume that most operators will
> use BGP (or maybe EIGRP?)

I guess most prefer eBGP due to it's scalability and level of control,
but at the end it's the customer's requirements (or the product
marketing's requirements) which dictate that..

Another aspect is the fact that many (most?) PE-CE links actually
terminate on a managed CE (managed by the same entity as the PE), so the
protocol between the two is up to the MPLS provider's discretion (and
most often ends up being eBGP). The CE then can redistribute BGP into
the customer's IGP (whatever it uses) without all the scalability issues
you need to consider on a PE possibly hosting hundreds or more PE-CE
links..

	oli