[c-nsp] Dark fiber Termination requirements

Dirk-Jan van Helmond dirkjan at os3.nl
Fri Oct 10 05:55:12 EDT 2008

> Dear all,
>  We are in process of implementing dark fiber in japan for our office in
> Tokyo and I would require this information if anyone can provide me .
> The scenario is as follows:
> Service provider's hub is 20kms away from our office .he will be laying
> dark fiber from his hub to our office.
>
> How can we terminate this fiber in our network?

Jou need dark-routers ;)

> what type of equipments will be required ?
> Is it possible to terminate this fiber without CWDM equipments.?

Dark Fiber is just a cable. I suppose its singlemode.
So you can use regular optics.

There are some things that you need tot take into account:
- What is the end-to-end distance in KM?
- Is there active or passive equipment in between? How much dB?
- What do you want to transport? FC? Ethernet? 1G? 10G? SONET?

Regards,
Dirk-Jan