[c-nsp] Dark fiber Termination requirements

Dirk-Jan van Helmond dirkjan at os3.nl
Fri Oct 10 07:04:38 EDT 2008

> We will be using single mode fiber as per the service provider.No idea
> about the passive equipments as the service provider will only be
> providing the fiber upto our office and we are supposed to get it
> terminated on to our network
> We will be wanting ethernet output and will want to transfer upto 10Gb of
> data thru that fiber.
> We will be using this dark fiber as a Leased line from head office to data
> center.

You'll probably get an end-to-end fiber.
When the fiber is ready, youll get a measurement rapport with the distance
of the fiber and the attenuation. With this information you can buy your
optics.

For ethernet:

10GBase-LR - 10Km
10GBase-ER - 40Km
10GBase-ZR - 80Km

If the distances are bigger, you want SONET or specialized WDM optics.
We use MRV optics. They have optics that can transport Ethernet over 200Km.

Regards,
Dirk-Jan