[c-nsp] packet drop due ti CAR (rate-limit)

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Oct 13 08:04:11 EDT 2008

Muhammad Farooq <mailto:scorpianbiz at hotmail.com> wrote on Monday,
October 13, 2008 12:09 PM:

> We have 24 subinterfaces on this Fastethernet link and we are facing
> problem on all sub interfaces. We have other gigi interfaces on this
> router on which we are using dot1q but they are running perfectly.
> Please find below show rate-limit output for one of problematic
> interfaces.
>
> FastEthernet3/0.8 Alfalah GHP
>   Input
>     matches: all traffic
>       params:  512000 bps, 48000 limit, 96000 extended limit
>       conformed 31000 packets, 23768856 bytes; action: transmit
>       exceeded 310 packets, 287635 bytes; action: drop
>       last packet: 32ms ago, current burst: 34513 bytes
>       last cleared 00:06:55 ago, conformed 457000 bps, exceeded 5000
>   bps Output
>     matches: all traffic
>       params:  512000 bps, 48000 limit, 96000 extended limit
>       conformed 24550 packets, 14268239 bytes; action: transmit
>       exceeded 3 packets, 354 bytes; action: drop
>       last packet: 44ms ago, current burst: 58 bytes
>       last cleared 00:06:55 ago, conformed 274000 bps, exceeded 0 bps

Well, CAR drops traffic, which counts up in the interface output drops..
The first interface drops 1% of the traffic as excess traffic, the
overall drop rate (from the initial "show int") is in the range of 0.2%,
so I would consider this "expected" behaviour due to traffic bursts
which are rate-limited by CAR..

	oli