[c-nsp] OK, what is a cheap and dirty hack to test a port

Luan Nguyen luan at netcraftsmen.net
Wed Oct 15 10:22:17 EDT 2008

Is it a Verizon circuit?
We have a T1 circuit with Verizon and have the same problem.  We have a
point to point circuit, so one side has clocking set to internal to provide
the clocking and the other side feeds from the line.
I wrote the problem up at http://ccie-security.blogspot.com/
But basically, it will be up for a some hours then down, then I call them to
test and it's good again.  Sometime it's good just by unplug the cable and
plug it back.  Like you, we changed everything and that didn't help.
Finally, we talked to a knowledgeable Verizon tester and he mentioned the
rate on the line is ~17 which is high.  It should be around 0 or negative.
He said that's because of mismatch clocking between our hardware and the
central office crossover equipment. The normal tester won't look at this,
they only do the loopback pattern testing, so you should ask them about the
rate of your line.
They swapped one smart jack, but that didn't help, so they will swap the
other today.  Hopefully that will do it.
Good information here about troubleshooting T1
http://www.informit.com/library/content.aspx?b=Troubleshooting_Remote_Access
&seqNum=61

Luan Nguyen
Chesapeake NetCraftsmen, LLC.